Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ok! Nov, 2 2010

What a week!
Monday we carved pumpkins and it was such fun! Elder Reidhead and I each did a half of one and so the Quasimoto of a jackolantern was funny. Harry potter meets Elvis Presley. ha ha. We had a great meeting with this one kid and his dad, and once again I realize how little I understand Spanish. Wait... let me rephrase that. How much I understand but how little I can communicate. Oh well.
Tuesday was Interviews with the mission president. just check ups to help him see how we are doing and to strengthen us. And I got to do my first real zone leader thingy. We got to teach/ train the three districts in our zone about recognizing and following the promptings of the Holy Ghost and to act in faith. Good stuff. A little exhausting at the end BUT it went well.

Later we met this young kid and talked with him, but his parents weren't interested. Oh well... We also met with a gal and her friend and It went really well. I hope we can meet with them more. It was fun. After the meeting we had dinner at this burger joint and at the end we were all in tears, not because of emotion or laughter--they were cutting onions. And the best part was when we walked out everybody we passed was sniffing and wiping their eyes as well. ha ha. Fun stuff.
Wed we met a couple people. Some nice, others weird, and some both. One guy as we were talking about how there is a prophet on the earth said, "Shalock-de-de-de-de-de-de. I believe God speaks though prophets--for I am one."
Oh.. OK.
Later we knocked a door and the atmosphere was just so peaceful. I don't know what it was about it, but it was like coming home or something. So we left a note on the door saying, "your wind chimes are delightful. Thank you, the missionaries."
Thursday, we went to district meeting and delivered supplies like we do every week and Elder Porter came over to us and said, "Do you recognize this?" We looked and it was the note we had left on the door! Apparently that was the home of some members in his neighborhood. Go figure! We had a great lesson with this one guy. He looks like Wolverine and Paul Revere's kid. And it went really well.
Friday we planned and had another lesson with Wolverine. Oh yeah! We got Flu shots! but not just ordinary flu shots: These were Drive-Through Flu Shots! Yup. Just roll down the window stick out your arm and say "ow!" Fun stuff. But I felt a bit like I was in a cattle vaccination program. MOOOOOO!!!!
Saturday is a special day and it was a day of meeting people and finishing planning.
Sunday I found out that one of the members in the branch knows me. WHAT!? yes. He was like:
"Hey, Elder Barker. Where are you from?"
-Maine. "Damariscotta?"
-WHAT!
"I Knew it! You're President Barker's son! I took you out on splits with me when you were fifteen And I was serving there!" -NO WAY!
Wow. Small world! Big church.
Do you remember a missionary by the name of Malm? Elder malm and his comp was Elder Frost. April-ish of '05. Frankly... I don't... So I had to do the -"Oh yeah! ... that was---great? When we taught that...uh...person about....stuff.......yeah......"
Ha ha. Cool stuff.
Halloween was fun. We dressed up as missionaries. It was so funny. Everybody was like, "Great Costumes!"
-Hey thanks. Can we talk to you for a little?
"Ha ha! Funny."
-No really. we're missionaries.
"oh...uh...sure"

Fun stuff.
Monday we had Exchanges with one of the district leaders and I had a wonderful day of helping less active members realize the importance of church and inviting people to be baptized and two dinner appointments. Great day.
Today, we just got back from the temple. Ahhhh wonderful peace and calm. I love the temple so much. Hey I got to do the work for this German guy who was born in 1755 Wow! I love thinking about what their lives must have been like. What was going on? Was the gospel restored yet? Was it war time? Were in the world were they? I love it. PLUS I love going to the temple.
So that was a long on... sorry about that. Thanks for the letters and emails and Blueberry pancakes! They were delicious! as were the coconut cookie bars. Yum!
I love you all!
Be well!
Keep your stick on the ice. Remember, I'm pulling for ya.
-Elder barker

No comments: