Thursday, September 9, 2010

Jun 21- One midnight gone

So!
I have officially moved in!
-And the last seven days didn't count because...?
Because I finally unpacked the last box, So now it's official! ha ha ha!

Ok but seriously, one week done! Woot!
It's a really mixed ward. It's so cool. Like there are Tongans, Samoans (Hey! Sule!), Mexicans, white folks, Europeans, and Asians! Pretty cool. and the work is pretty good too.
We are working with some cool people and helping them to see how the gospel can help them in their lives.

OH the other night when we were trying to contact a family that we are working with there was this guy and his son getting their fishing pool and gear all together, so I asked him what he was fishing for, and It turned out that he was going of for mackerel! AHA HA HA HA! My specialty! So We chatted a bit about the best kind of jigs to use and about that kind of stuff and then we talked a little about the gospel. He wasn't too interested but Hey! It was cool to have a quick connection like that. Those don't come around like that everyday.

So, we had dinner with Brother Harmer, the second counselor in the bishopric, and his family, so fun. But in the closing prayer I said, "Help us to have more opportunities to open our mouths and share our testimonies with those around us." and after the prayer Brother Harmer said, "I just received revelation! Elder Barker, would you give a talk in sacrament meeting this Sunday (two days away)." ... so I got to speak my first week in the area! Brothers and sisters!TALO-O-O-O-FA!

Speaking of Samoan phrases I learned a new one: Fia ai. That means "feed me" and then Fa a Fe Tai Fai Mea ai. That means "thank you for making the food." very important phrases in Polynesian culture. ;)

OK, so one cool character in the ward is Ron. He is a Samoan who is getting all of his papers and stuff together to go on a mission. He's so cool, and He's a midget. He's like a Polynesian hobbit! we take him out to lessons with us all the time. way cool.

Elder Robertson is way cool too! I wrote this in a couple letters but He seriously reminds me of Cousins. He is a mix of Kimball barker and Zach Davis! Too fun! We are doing really well together.

Well... That's all for now... I think.

Thank you sooooooo much for your letters emails and such. I received a package this week with a wonderful gift in it. Thank you all for that, and thank you Emily for putting it together. it was an awesome pick me up. You all rock! and If I was to describe you all in one word it would be: The-greatest-people-that-I-could-ever-wish-to-be-friends-and-family-with.

I love you all!

Catch you on the flip side later!


-Elder Barker

No comments: