Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Jun 11 Latest Elder Barker Email

Subject: Four days and seven hours ago--------I wrote you last.
SO! not too too much to report on, Except For the fact that on
Thurs. We met our new mission president! He is so Cool and down to earth, and loving, and Guess what?! He looks like Agent Sunshine from West Wing, Or... What's his name in CSI... But you know who I'm talking about. It kind of makes me think of the time that Dad had an Army General who looked like Patrick Stewart and because Dad respected Capt. Jean luc-Piccard he transferred some of that automatically to his General. It was a lovely meeting with them. Boy, they've had some hardships ever since they accepted the call to be mission presidents. They must have some wonderful mission to accomplish. Why else would the adversary try so hard to stop them? anywho, Good Idahoan folks who love the lord and love each other and are willing to do what the lord asks of them. After the meetin' we had a lovely Curry dinner with the Former Boxer and his wife. She still hasn't read... Nor did she make it to church. oy... We tried talking to a bunch of people we needed to make contact with but with my temporary companion feeling pain in his back and with other people not being home, we didn't talk to too many.
Fri. Elder J. Took his English test to get a cool diploma thing that gives him college credit for English. (Hey! I speak English too. I want a cool diploma too!..) In the evening we had a great meeting with the Peruvian family with the daughter that says the funniest prayers: "Thank you for my cough going away- cause I don't like it. And also we had sandwiches and they were yummy and... yeah- in the name of Jesus Christ Amen!" Peru just beat Mexico so spirits were high. And hey! They read the chapter we gave them (Alma 34) Which talks a little about the purpose of life. But they didn't make it to church either! ARRRGH!
Saturday Was Hot. And we had wonderful meetings with wonderful people. I don't remember if I told you about the family that had us give their 13 yr-old daughter a blessing cause she was scared to go into her room? She felt that there was something not good there. Well we stopped by to remind them of church (they didn't come either) and to see how she was faring. Still scared. So we had a discussion on what might be the cause of it. ("Somebody going to the palm reader and inviting weird spirits home? hmm?") It was a good discussion.

Then we had dinner. And then our coordination meeting fell through. So on the way from the meeting that didn't happen, we got the impression to stop by the family that we stopped by last Sunday. Just as we pulled in the driveway he came out the door. "Speaking of the Holy Ghost! I had JUST said a prayer for help-- And here you are." So here's the deal: The day after we met with him, they had another argument and his wife headed off for her vacation early. So he's been all alone and has been going crazy! So we talked more about avoiding contention and such and then headed home. It's amazing how God orchestrated that meeting: Our Coordination meeting falls through, we get the prompt, and then we go, and Poof! He's just been praying about what to do next. cool.
Domingo- the pianist didn't show, so after hearing the first song A Capella I couldn't stand it any longer so I ran up and played the rest of the hymns for the meeting. Oy... my piano skills are shaky. BUT it was better than the Battle of the off-tune congregation. Yikes! Also I spoke on the plan of salvation--my favorite topic! I love it soooo much, cause it gives me the most hope! Too many friends who have passed on into the spirit world. Too many things that are unfair about life. How grateful I am for a loving God and a Savior who provided a way for us to see our loved ones again. And to be resurrected in our perfect and proper form. Maren- we have a date to go running together in the millennium! SO that was fun at church. Then after church we went to a baptism and "Oh! Elder Barker! We don't have a musical number... could you-" Yeah, yeah yeah. I see how it is. One good deed in church and then I never get to rest. -But I guess it's good to share your talents.
and now it's today. Hi!
I love you so freaking much! I hope things are going great!
YIKES! the time is flying far too quickly.
It keeps doing that you know...
I love you.
Catch you next week.
-elder barker

No comments: