Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sept. 6 How could it possibly be time already?!?!

So the dreaded envelop came this week. We, in missionary lingo, lovingly call them the "Trunky Papers". It's the flight plans, packing instructions, check out procedure, final interviews and temple trip stuff... Yikes. I can hardly believe that it's time for me to actually be receiving this info. Wow... Time is a strange thing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around he whole "time" concept. Oh well. The time has come.
So Monday we had a funny time with a guy on the street. He was pruning his Chyote plant.
I asked Elder Castillo, "What's Chyote?"
"It's a green thing that they put in chicken stew," he replied. Then added, "It's nasty."
Turning back to the gentleman he said, "Esta Rico no?" (it's tasty isn't it?)
"Si, Esta Ricisimo!" (oh yeah! it's so delicious it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. In fact, I think I'll have some right now, since you mentioned it. Thank you my good man!)
Ha ha ha.
Tuesday we had a lesson with an older lady who's husband had died five months ago and her sister-in-law died recently too. Whew! That's alot to take in a few months. So we talked about the plan of salvation and how God has a purpose for everything and how we will see our loved ones again. In the evening we had exchanges. (This means he and his companion "exchanged" places, or split up for the evening to teach with other members or other missionaries so they can see more people in an area that evening----Anne).
Wed we taught the older lady about the restoration of the Gospel. She seemed, kind of, Eh... about it all. Hmmm... that evening we did alot of contacting of people who had met missionaries in the past.
Thursday we met Sleepy who lived at the home of some people that had listened to missionaries in the past and had some time. So we had a lovely time getting to know him. He was pretty tired from working all day though (hence the nickname). In the evening we talked with that one family that I can't figure out a name for... about the love that God has for them. It was great. Then we exchanged back.
Friday we had a super long dramatic service project helping this lady and her kids (think Calvin times four and that'll give you an idea about this kid) move a truck loaded with stuff into her storage unit (which could only hold 1/4 of the stuff. So we got all this organizing and moving and relocating to a different unit and the Kid had to pee so he went in a bottle then chased my companion around the complex with it.... It was fun.

Later the older lady we'd been meeting with kind of said, "Don't call me; I'll call you." Oy.... Then we talked with Army kid about church and maybe meeting with the YSA missionaries. Later in the evening we met with the West Pointers and talked about baptisms for the dead cause they were going to the Temple the next day. Great stuff!
Saturday we took a stress test survey to see how stressed out we are. I got Green (not stressed out). Surprise surprise. Other missionaries in the district got Orange (Almost freaking out under the pressure) Whoa... I'm glad that the Lord has helped me to deal with pressure out here. We taught some kids who we met last week and the lesson went really well. They are super receptive and they are awesome! They just speak English... so we won't be the ones teaching them. Then in the evening we taught a guy on the street about what the Book of Mormon is. I love meeting people on the street! It's such fun!
Sunday was AWESOME! West pointer's Dad blessed the sacrament, my comp talked me into bearing my testimony cause it's the last Fast and Testimony Meeting in my mission, West Pointer the Oldest got ordained as a priest, and The church is true!

After church we met with Sleepy and he had read and remembered really well what he had read, Cool. So we talked about prophets and the importance of scriptures. Then we watched The Testaments with a family, then raced to a seminary kick off and sang a musical number, then ended the night with that one family that I can't think of a name for... It was a good day.
Monday we had an awesome Family Home Evening with the Westpointers! Life is so great!
I love you all.
I love the Lord!
Things are good but they are getting better.
Catch you next week.
-Elder barker

No comments: