Wednesday, September 7, 2011

June 6 Old friends in new places

ello, hello, hello, hello!
Wow, the time is going by so quickly. Too quickly! GAAAHHH!!! (ahem*)
Well, To get down to the nitty gritty-
Tuesday we stopped by this young gal who we've been trying to contact for a while. But she really doesn't have any motivation to do anything at all. She has quite the acne problem and she is quite self conscious about it. We tried to talk to her about how God doesn't look on the height or worldly appearance of a person but looks upon the heart. But she still didn't want to think about letting us talk to her about the God let alone come out to church. It's so sad that our society puts so much emphasis on Looks. I wonder how many people would be active and helping in their communities if they weren't worried about how people would look at them?... This gal has a daughter who is... 9 months... maybe more. But she was just sitting there in her walker thingy and staring up at me sadly. SO I tried to pull my magic and get her to smile- BUT NO! she wouldn't even flinch! I Guess It's like they say, "like mother like daughter." Funny part though- when I decided to just give up and mirror the face that she was putting out to the world, She started crying! "AH HA! So you can dish it out but you can't take it huh?!" Man, she was such a baby. ;)
Wed we taught a lady on her door step but it was a little tricky because her home is actually a front for Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I swear there were about 50 kids going in and out and asking how much the candy she has hidden in her closet costs. It's actually quite amazing. At first her home looks like a regular home but then a quick as lightning she opens the hall closet and it's like a secret magical room that is just overflowing with candy and chips and toys and do-dads. So... it was tricky teaching her.
Thursday- we had a meeting with this one family and the old Dad who pipes up every now and then actually said something quite profound, "Everyone you ask will tell you that their church is the only true church. How can you actually know which one is true? Are they all true, or are they all wrong?" Well hermano, that is exactly what we help people to figure out. AND the great part is that we'd rather people don't take our word for it. DON'T! Because it's true- I'll always say that the church is true ('cause it is.) BUT if you ask GOD then He can tell you if what I'm saying is true or not and if there is a true church on the earth and which one it is. Profound question, no?

Later in the evening we met with that one man I told you about who looks like Jean Luc Piccard and he said, "Hey! His Spanish is improving! The first time he came by and said a prayer I couldn't understand a word. But now, it's better."
Ha ha. that's nice to hear.
Friday was Friday
Saturday I was on exchanges with the district leader But EVERY person we planned to meet with Wasn't there! Oy.... I hate when that happens.
Sunday was a reorganization of the bishopric. So the guy who was acting as Bishop was released from his position and another was called to fill the position. AND Guess who is the New Bishop?! My Ward mission leader from my last ward! Wow. Small world, big stake. It's interesting to see how the Lord works. I'm excited to see how the New Obispo's energy will help the ward.
And now it's today.
Well, guess what?!
I love you!!!!
Thanks for your love and support and prayers on my behalf. things are going good and they're getting better all the time. a little better all the time (can't get any worse).
You rock my socks! Have a great week!
catch you later.
-Elder barker

No comments: