Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Jun 27 I just looked at the calander!

Did you realize what happened 167 years ago today?! The blood of Joseph Smith was spilled in a mobbing of Carthage Jail where was being held on false accusations of treason. "Long shall his blood which was shed by assassins plead unto heaven while the Earth lauds his fame."
Wow. This week was such fun.
Tuesday we were able to meet with Jean Luc Picard's older twin brother. apparently his new leg is not the right size so we helped him put on his old one. It was so funky seeing him without a foot. I mean- the prosthetic isn't a foot-foot-foot thingy, BUT when he disconnected it and all that was there was a wobbly Nub! It was cool and creepy and fun. We also met with the X-Boxer and his wife. It was a wonderful lesson on the importance of going to church as a family. (Unfortunately She hasn't quite been able to put that understanding into action yet... We'll keep trying.)

Then we ran to the church for a meeting BUT! We got Hi-jacked by Obispo to help him cook food for the youth. SO we made HOT DOGS WRAPPED IN BACON!!!!! Soooooo good- but sooo bad. (if you note there are more 'o's in the 'good' part of the comparison So I think that means that they are more good for you than they are bad- right?) Then we exchanged with the district leader because his companion, Elder Park, was in my area about a year ago and he knows the people.
Wed was fun because I was with Elder Park and everyone thinks we look alike. For a few weeks here people were mistaking me for him all the time. We were able to meet with a couple families that hadn't been taught in months and because Elder Park is magical we were able to set up times to go back and teach these families. Dinner was Muy picoso. And when it's spicy it always is a challenging situation. If I say, "WHOA! esta es demasiado picoso para mi!" They will think that I'm a Wimpy White Boy. But if I say, "Esta es perfecto, Que tipo de chile es? Chile de arbol? Ah Mi favorito." Then my mouth burns off and I can't talk for the rest of the day, and then next time they will put more chile in the food....
Thursday we met with one of the families from yesterday and, here's the deal, Sparky: It's sad when the people are converted to the missionaries and not the Gospel. Because as soon as the missionaries are transferred some people don't want to listen anymore. Oy... I hope that by my going by with Elder Park I somehow have made it into the "In" crowd. We also met a really interesting guy and taught him about the Restoration. He was in a coma for 11 months and died 3 times and now is trying to find a path of spirituality. Well sir! We are just the people to talk to! He was so receptive and accepted to learn more and It's GREAT! The one tiny little problem is that- he speaks English... So, That's a good thing for the English ward, but we have to keep searching for the honest in heart and the humble in the Spanish Genre. Oy...
Friday I was Back with Elder Jaquez! And it was weekly planning. and yeah... Friday was Friday. Not to many people were home or willing to listen to us.
Saturday was another one of those days. But hey- Mexico won the gold cup. so that's something.
Sunday was lovely. Church was uplifting, and Elder Mallo (pronounced Ma-show) and I did a musical number in sacrament meeting. We sang and danced to the tune of "there's no business like show business" - ha ha just KIDDING! I played the piano and he sang a fun version of an hymn. Uh oh now the ward knows I can play the piano- Now I'll never have a moment's rest at church. Then in the evening we had a couple lessons with some people. Elder Jaquez is so good. I just wish that I could speak Spanish like him. He says I have a Mexican accent. Oh well. I guess you pick up the accent of the people were you learn it.
I hope things are going good with y'all.
Thanks, as always, for your love and support. It really means a lot to me to have such great friends and family. I love you all.
Further up and further in!
Catch you next week.
-Elder barker

No comments: