Monday, March 7, 2011

One more go around (Jan 10)

Another week gone and that's also the mark of another transfer. Elder Reidhead and I were a bit nervous when the transfer calls came, after all We've been together for two transfers now and he's been in the branch for three. BUT we're still together! WOO HOO!!! Fun stuff!
Dang it! I left my old planner in the apartment so... I'll do my best to remember Good stories from the week.
This week I went on exchanges with Elder Schweinkie! He's such a great Missionary! He's Samoan, but obviously his name is German (His dad is half). Anyways, we had a wonderful day finding people and talking to everyone we came in contact with. We met some interesting people: One guy looked like he just got in a scuffle with a werewolf, and he was going on about how "we're all one and part of the whole... Pass it on," and how creation came from an atom that had an imbalance and then expanded and la-dee-da-dee-doo. So I interrupted him and asked a question that i thought was rather obvious, "What or who created the Atom? Where did it come from?" He stood there for a second, and then acknowledged the existence of a supreme being. YAY!
We knocked on this one door and when they opened it up, there was this Spanish woman and her four CRAZY daughters (maybe they weren't all hers... I never could get a straight answer from her... "something about their teeth falling out...") And when we asked if we could come in and bless her and her home and pray with the family, she said yes, BUT because there wasn't a man home, we couldn't go in (Darn politics). BUT she said we could come back in an hour, so we did.

We talked with some other great people and then we came back and there was a man home! YAY! So we went in, sat down and began with a prayer- BAM- Right when we lifted our heads up from the prayer, they shot all of this anti-Mormon stuff at us. And to make it even better IT WAS IN SPANISH! So although the things they were throwing at us were nothing difficult at all and could be answered really simply, I couldn't form the sentences to sound intelligent in Spanish! So, it was an interesting experience. All we could do was tell them that we know that the book of Mormon is a true record of the word of God that he revealed to the ancient inhabitants of the Americas, and that Joseph Smith truly was called by God to be the prophet of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, And that Jesus truly is the son of God and our saviour and redeemer. That's all we could do, and they didn't even listen. OY! Oh well...
We met with this one guy who's 19 and has gone through ALOT! Like... near death, on the streets, crazy life, bunch of madness stuff. and He has the greatest desire to change and become clean. We were able to help him get to church this Sunday and one of the members was talking to him and right before the third hour was like, "hey elders! Let's have a lesson right now!" so we skipped Sunday school and talked about God's plan of Happiness for all of us and how Jesus makes salvation possible. Great stuff.
That's all I can remember. Sorry.
This truly is a great work! wow!
I Have to apologize now. I'm going to be cutting back the frequency of letters out. I don't have time to write what I would like and I really need to devote more attention to the work. I'll still be writing the weekly email, but I don't have time to write all the letters I have been writing in the past. Sorry for the cut backs.
I love you all soooo much! You are so wonderful and you keep me afloat! Stay strong in the Gospel and Be wise!
Love,
Elder barker

No comments: